mdadm refuses to re-add failed member

Radu, thank you for helping me with this problem!

My beloved power distribution company had always have problems. It is common thing to have a power outage up to half an hour every few weeks. Lately however, the problems increased in rate and gravity. I don't know exactly what happened last time, but there were 2 power outages in 30 minutes and 6 in 24 hours. Voltage peaks and spikes, variations in the frequency and everything. The result: the UPS and one disk were broken. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I guess mine were not strong enough for this challenge. I also had a very old HITACHI disk which was already showing signs of failure (part of an RAID1 array) .

So I decided to replace both disks. This is a piece of cake operation, isn't it? It wasn't because the server was located in Romania and I am in Sweden.

After removing the faulty disk from the array and shutting down the server

[codesyntax lang="bash"]

mdadm /dev/md0 --fail /dev/sdb1 --remove /dev/sdb1
mdadm /dev/md1 --fail /dev/sdb2 --remove /dev/sdb2
mdadm /dev/md2 --fail /dev/sdb3 --remove /dev/sdb3


I asked a friend of mine to physically replace the disk.

Then I re-added the disk in array

[codesyntax lang="bash"]

mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1
mdadm --add /dev/md1 /dev/sdb2
mdadm --add /dev/md2 /dev/sdb3


and waited to sync.

[codesyntax lang="bash"]

echo 100000 > /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_min
watch -n1 cat /proc/mdstat


The next thing was to reboot the server to make sure everything was fine.

Well, it wasn't fine. I couldn't connect to the server, so something happened with the filesystem, raid or whatever.
After having a chat with my friend from Romania I find out that there was a problem with /dev/md2.





Something really strange was going on.

We tried different things like removing and re-adding the disk, --zero-superblock the new disk... More or less the same error.

When I was out of ideas and just about to give up when I received this messages from my friend "I fixed it for you!!!! Apparently there is a bug in metadata 0.90 and you have to use 1.2, but you can't choose metadata version with the debian installer. I sent you an email. Read it!".

Basically the email with the solution contained only one line:

After he added DEVICE ... to /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf the problem was solved.

[codesyntax lang="bash"]

vim /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf


DEVICE /dev/sda1
DEVICE /dev/sda2
DEVICE /dev/sda3

DEVICE /dev/sdb1
DEVICE /dev/sdb2
DEVICE /dev/sdb3

Scrie si tu o vorbulita

NOTE - You can use these HTML tags and attributes:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.